Certificate in Early Childhood Care and Education
This programme is aimed at Early Childhood Principals, Teachers and Trainees, and persons interested in the field of Early Childhood Care and Education.
In this programme, participants will gain a depth of understanding about Early Childhood Care and Education and the factors that influence the lives of young children, their environment, communities and families. Participants will benefit through a well researched body of knowledge in early education theories, culture, and the social and historical aspects that influence how children learn.
Duration: 2 years (part-time)
Class times: Evenings, Weekends and School Holidays
This two (2) year programme of study is approved by the Ministry of Education and allows graduates to matriculate into the Bachelor of Education Degree (B.Ed.) at UWI School of Business and Applied Studies Limited (trading as ROYTEC) in collaboration with the University of New Brunswick, Canada.
- Active Teaching for Active Learning
- Administration & Organisation
- Child Development
- Education I
- Education II
- Health and Safety
- Inclusive Education
- Introduction to Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) for ECCE
- Oral & Written Communication
- Parent Community Interaction
- Personality Development
- Sociology/Social Studies
- Internship Assessment
All courses are compulsory. There are no elective courses.
A minimum of five (5) CXC (CSEC), (General Proficiency) Grades I and II (Grade III accepted from June 1998 onwards) or five (5) GCE O'Level passes, Grades A, B or C (or equivalent) including English Language and Mathematics.
Applicants may also be considered on the basis of their work experience in ECCE and other academic credits, prior learning, training and educational background as deemed relevant by ROYTEC's Admissions Committee. Applicants may be subject to an admissions interview.
- Completed Application Form and Fee
- The original and copy of CXC certificate/s and other academic achievements/training courses
- One Passport-sized photograph
- The original and copy of one (1) of the following: National ID, Birth Certificate or Passport.
- The original and copy of your Marriage Certificate/affidavit. (Applicable only if the name is different from name on the application form).
- Letter of Recommendation from a School Principal, School Supervisor, or Religious Board. (Applications may not be considered without letter of recommendation).
- A Police Certificate of Character (or a copy of the Official Receipt for same).