Health and Safety
UWI-ROYTEC's Security Officers are charged with the responsibility of securing the premises and student safety. Students must visibly display their Student Identification Card upon entry into the building and whilst on the premises. Students without identification will be required to pay a fee for a temporary day pass.
UWI-ROYTEC is committed to being a leader in health and safety by providing, so far as reasonably practicable, a safe and healthy working and learning environment for staff, students, customers, and visitors to UWI-ROYTEC, in accordance with its legislative obligations and industry standards.
The following is the Health and Safety Policy Statement approved by the board on May 1, 2012.
The management of UWI School of Business and Applied Studies Limited is committed to providing so far as is reasonably practicable, safe systems in the delivery of services to all of our stakeholders.
It is the policy of UWI School of Business and Applied Studies Limited, to conduct all of our operations in a manner that protects the Safety and Health of our students, staff, contractors and visitors whilst at the same time sustaining the Environment.
UWI School of Business and Applied Studies Limited with our proactive approach to Safety, Health and the Environment will:
- Conduct Awareness Programmes for all stakeholders
- Conduct Periodic Risk Assessments
- Establish Emergency Procedures for our operations
- Comply with local as well as international standards, in keeping with our Institution's mission.
- Conduct Fire and Bomb Drills
- Provide First Aid Training for Safety Wardens
- Establish programs to assist in Environmental sustainability.
At our Henry Street location in case of an emergency the alarm bell will sound. This sound is a loud continuous blast, when this is heard please follow these evacuation procedures:
- Remain calm
- Leave all personal belongings; proceed in an orderly fashion down the staircase to the nearest exit which is either the front of the building or red exit doors situated on the north eastern side of the building. Use the handrails while descending the stairs.
- DO NOT USE THE ELEVATOR IN AN EMERGENCY or EVACUATION.
- Proceed to the Muster Point located at the Family Planning Association (FPA) Car Park located on the Corner of Oxford Street and Charlotte Street.
- Obey the instructions given by the emergency wardens (identified by their fluorescent jackets)
- Remain at the Muster Point for further instructions.
These evacuation procedures are displayed in each classroom along with the floor plans, showing their exits.
Muster Points for the three (3) locations:
- Henry Street and Charlotte Street - (FPA) Car Park located on the Corner of Oxford Street and Charlotte Street.
- Naparima College South - On entering the compound the field on the immediate left.
Students are encouraged to protect themselves at our Self Defense sessions. This workshop provides practical knowledge for everyday self defense.
Students can learn defensive tactics to effectively disarm their attacker and anticipate dangerous situations. Demonstrations are conducted in the art of Taekwondo and Hapkido Martial Arts.
The Shuttle Service is a means of ensuring a safe and convenient transportation option for our evening students. The shuttle operates from UWI-ROYTEC to City Gate from Monday to Friday and departs from UWI-ROYTEC's car park at 7:45 p.m. and 8:15 p.m. The South Shuttle operates from Naparima College to Library Corner and departs at 8:00 p.m. This service is free of charge and operates from Monday to Friday during the academic terms.